Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving

What do the Holidays mean to you? Of course during Thanksgiving, I try to be a little more intentionally thankful... but some years, and some days, are harder then others. I will admit that this year I feel like every day is a struggle to be thankful for SOMETHING - and I'm glad that I have chosen to look at that more closely. Some of the things that I have been thankful for so far this month:

I am thankful for Books - I am a sucker for books. I'm thankful that I know how to read and that my children love to read.

I am thankful for friends -- for those far away, and those close by. For those who make me laugh, those I cry for, and those that I may only see once in a blue moon. Friends are dear to me, and I am so happy for all of mine!

I am thankful of my two, bouncing, healthy boys...They constantly keep my on my toes, and remind me that each day is a new day to start again.

I am thankful that I live in a country where I am free to think and express my opinion. There are limitations, and sometimes we may feel that we are not free to do this, however I can say that I am not happy with our government, or that I do not like a particular politician, and I will not immediately get thrown in jail. I am also thankful that because of the freedom of this country, and because of the bravery of many before me, I have the right to vote my opinions. 

I am thankful for my church family... What a day today!! I'm totally exhausted, but it was so great to be amongst everyone today, celebrating all that the Church of the Joyful Healer is about... i am so happy that I found this place going on 7 years ago.... and it has been there, through my moves, through my children growing up, through jobs, etc...

I am thankful for Humboldt Weather - always keeping me on my toes... one minute it's freezing and raining and I got all my winter weather gear out... the past 2 days, beautiful, sunny, fabulous 69 degrees! it's a heat wave! lol. LOVE IT! So happy to be living here!

I am thankful for the little things today... for my children's hugs in the morning; for a nice, warm shower; for a roof over my head, even though we have no flooring; for email notifications that tell me it's a family members' birthday or anniversary because my brain is too full to remember these things; for ways to communicate, like facebook, as flawed as it is. :)     

I am thankful to people who actually listen to the words that I say, and don't make me have to repeat myself 100 times!

I'm thankful that we have one working car, and that my mother in law has let Justin borrow hers for the day.

Thankful for a working washing machine and dryer, so when the cat pukes up on my bed, I can wash the sheets and blankets without going to the laundromat.

I'm also very thankful for Legos - those magical plastic bricks that pop together and make children use their imaginations!

I am thankful for all the loving and supportive people in my life! There are too many of you to name, but I love you!

Thankful that we have money for the things we need - food, shelter - some months it doesn't seem like enough, and we may end up eating a lot of cereal or pancakes that are super cheap, but we always have something, and that is enough.

Thankful for technology... as frustrating as it is, I'm glad to be a part of a world that has technology and is constantly generating new technology, of ALL kinds - not just computers.

I'm thankful my house has heat! everywhere I was today, seemed that there was NO heat - either because they were cheap or because it was broken!

Wow, that's a lot of things to be thankful for so far! There are more things I am thankful for, but on some days, I just don't feel it. I guess that is how life is.  

So, besides being thankful, what is this holiday we call thanksgiving?  

I have some favorite childhood memories - my all time favorite is my multi-cultural Thanksgiving - full of friends and family from all over the place - Australia, Bolivia, the deep south, Japan... I remember some holidays we would have with my grandparents - my grandpa calling the sweet potatoes "sweet spuds" - don't know why that is comforting, it just is.  And then there is the times with our Thai daughters - Noon and Supinda - celebrating a Thai festival that coincided with Thanksgiving, either on the day, or very close to the day... 

Now days it's always a bunch of organizing - who's going to be where for the holidays... It gets very exhausting.  This year I plan to combat some of those exhausting feelings by going to the Thanksgiving Service at my church on Wednesday night, and run in the Turkey Trot in Eureka on Thursday Morning.  I also plan to go out to Trinidad Pier with the boys the day after Thanksgiving, and spend a little time with them on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, hopefully hiking or something.  I want to relax this Thanksgiving so I can really, truly feel thankful!!

So may this thankful season touch all of you in a new way.        

No comments: