Monday, January 16, 2012

Thoughts of my day

Because I know that you are reading this and care about my thoughts, I am writing them out. What good is a blog if you don't write out something about what you are thinking. I have had a lot of thoughts run through my head today, especially this AM when I was on my run...

I am so lucky to live amongst the redwoods. Such beautiful and amazing trees! I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my mother. Truly, I know we all say that, cause if it weren't for our mamas, we wouldn't ever be born, but seriously... it was my mother who introduced me to the idea of even coming up here to Humboldt County to go to college. Before that I was looking at going to school somewhere else, I remember CSU San Bernardino interesting me a lot. Of course I applied to Chico because of that being my parents' school, but it really didn't interest me much. Then my mom found a brochure for Humboldt, we came up here, took a look, and I was hooked. What really struck me was it's beauty. I liked the small atmosphere of the school, I liked what the music program had to offer, but what I LOVED was the landscape, the rain, the ocean and trees... It had it all. And now I have stayed here to raise my family, and as I was running today, looking at the backdrop of redwood forest, I realized how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful place - a place that many people come for a vacation to get away from the city. I love it!!

Justice is also on my mind today. Today we remember the great Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and all that he stood for. It is on days like today that I am thankful for growing up in the world today, and yet am still sickened by the fact that there is still injustice that happens in my world. It also reminds me that because I am white, I still have many privileges that I take for granted. I live in an area that isn't necessarily devoid of racial diversity, but is still predominantly white, and I hope every day that I am being the best role model in this are to my children. But not only when it comes to racial justice, but also other justice. To love everyone, regardless of religion, sexual orientation, race, beliefs, social status, etc. I can't say enough how we still have a long way to go as a nation, as a society, but I do see hope every day, and I know that each and every one of us has the ability to fight injustice in the world. I do my part with my family and the people I meet every day. And it is in my mind as I type.

Oh, there is more, but I will save it for another day. My ramblings can only go so far in one blog post.

No comments: